HeaderVFP
Home About Us Projects Clients Surveys Contact Links
           

 

Victor Farrar Clients

The Church of St Giles PCC, Barham (Cambridgeshire)

St Giles consists of a chancel, and a nave with a N aisle and a S doorway under a porch. The S doorway dates the church to the late 12thc.; the chancel and its arch were rebuilt c.1300, and in the late 14thc. the nave windows were replaced and the E bay of the arcade was rebuilt and widened. The exterior walls are of pebble rubble and stones, except for the S nave wall, which is of rough ashlar. The roofs are covered in tiles of mixed colours, producing an unfortunate chalet-like effect. The church was restored in 1842 when the porch and north wall of the aisle were rebuilt, and a bell-cote built on the west gable. The west wall was restored and the porch rebuilt again in 1903, and the chancel was restored in 1905.

The Church of All Saints PCC, Brixworth (Northamptonshire) Grade I

England’s largest and finest Anglo Saxon church built around 680 AD. The tower was made higher in the 10th Century.

The Church of St Mary The Virgin PCC, Bozeat (Northamptonshire) | Top

Romanesque church centres on the three-storey tower and its arch. A 12thc. S window survives.

The Church of St. Leonard PCC,Catworth (Cambridgeshire) | Top

The Nave is 13th century but considerable rebuilding took place towards the end of the 14th century

The Church of St. Denis PCC, Colmworth (Bedfordshire) | Top

Mid C15th, the church is a building of the Perpendicular period consisting of chancel and nave, and a western tower with lofty and elegant spire.

The Church of All Saints PCC, Caddington (Bedfordshire) | Top

Medieval building, the earliest surviving parts may be Anglo-Saxon and dating to the eleventh century. Masonry of the south doorway dates from c.1180 - 1200. the North Chapel was built c.1330 and the tower was in existence by 1458. The south aisle was built in the late 15th century when the south doorway was reset. The church was extensively repaired in 1876 and most of the external masonry is new.

The Church of St Mary The Virgin PCC, Felmersham (Bedfordshire) Grade I | Top

Begun about 1220, and carried through to completion in some twenty years; the only alterations that have since been made are the rebuilding of the south wall of the south aisle in the 14th century and the heightening of the tower, the addition of a clearstory to the nave and the insertion of several windows in the 15th century

The Church of St Peter & St Paul PCC, Flitwick (Bedfordshire) | Top

12th - 14th Century : Flitwick Church constructed. A Norman doorway survives from late 12th century. The church was enlarged in the early 14th century when the chancel was rebuilt and a south aisle added. The west tower was built in about 1380.

The Church of St John the Baptist PCC, Flitton (Bedfordshire) | Top

This Church is a building of sandstone in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled tower containing 5 bells : here is the mausoleum of the De Gray family, containing many splendid monuments, dating from the 16th century. The register dates from the year 1583.

The Church of All Saints PCC, Great Harrowden (Bedfordshire) | Top

All Saints' Church is a building of several periods, dating back to Norman times. The Church of St Mary PCC, Guilden Morden (Cambridgeshire) The church of St. Mary is an embattled building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with four crocketed pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 6 bells: the double 14th century screen, which separates the chancel from the nave, is almost unique in England.

The Church of St Peter PCC, Holwell (Cambridgeshire)   | Top

The church of St Peter, originally in the Perpendicular style, was rebuilt in 1877, at a cost of £2,500, under the direction of the late Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, and reopened May 8th, 1879, by the Bishop of Ely: it is now a building of stine in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 2 bells.

The Church of St Faith PCC, Hexton (Hertfordshire) | Top

The church of St Faith, was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1824, through the munificence of the late Joseph Andrew De Latour esq. who died March 26, 1867, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, with a chapel on the north side dedicated to St Nicholas, aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; the first and third are respectively dated 1697 and 1688; the second is simply inscribed "Ave Maria" ... St Faith's building has a fine East Window by Harry Stammers, two Georgian pulpits, and an 1820 organ.

The Church of St Katherine PCC, Ickleford (Hertfordshire) | Top

13th Century Norman Church dedicated to St. Katharine of Alexandria. The nave dates back to 1150 although the chancel and tower date back to C13. Gilbert Scott added the aisles in 1859 and the chancel arch, vestry and west window. The porch is dated 1450 and is being restored by The Victor Farrar Partnership in 2007 in the original cobbled walling stone.

The Church of St Peter PCC, Isham (Northamptonshire) | Top

St Peter's has a nave with N and S aisles of three bays. In each arcade the arches of the two W bays, and the westernmost pier and respond are 12thc. (the N stylistically earlier than the S); the eastern arch, pier 1 and the east respond belong to the later 13thc.

The Church of All Saints PCC, Kempston (Bedfordshire) | Top

The massive stone walls of the lower part of the western tower date from the early twelfth century although the Norman upper part was rebuilt three hundred years later when the vaulted church porch was added.

The Church of St Mary's PCC, Little Houghton (Northamptonshire) | Top

St Mary's has a clerestoreyed nave of three bays with 19thc. arcades. In fact, although both arcades appear the same, the N aisle dates from Buckeridge's 1873 restoration, while the S arcade was only restored at that date. The S aisle extends W halfway along the tower, while the N aisle stops at the tower junction. A vestry has recently been added alongside the tower on the N. At the E end of the nave, the aisles extend to form chapels alongside the chancel, the N deeper than the S. Both have arches from the chancel; the N arch 19thc., the S late medieval.The chancel arch and W tower arch are both Perpendicular; the latter badly distorted. In its three lower storeys the tower is 13thc., with attractive blind arcading on the 3rd storey. A 4th storey with bell-openings and battlements was added in the 15thc. Construction is of orange-brown ashlar blocks with courses of varying thicknesses. Romanesque work is found in the S doorway and the font.

The Church of St Catharine's PCC, Litlington (Cambridgeshire) | Top

The church of St Catharine is a fine specimen of the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells

The Church of All Saints PCC, Little Staughton (Bedfordshire) | Top

Built in 1200 it is Grade 1. The church was originally just a Nave and Chancel dated C13 and the south aisle and chapel are dated C14 and tower C15. The Architectural significance is medieval with a C15 roof to the nave rising from the carved stone corbels (except the one which we added)one of which is a cross legged figure playing the bagpipes. The present chancel and clerestory and tower (embattleded)are all C15.The church is of perpendiclar character except the windows in the south aisle and a Sepulchral arch on the north side of the chancel. The south door dates back to C15 and there are fragments of medieval glass.

The Church of St Peter PCC, Newton Bromswold (Northamptonshire) | Top

St Peter's Church. The church dates from the 12th Century and is noted for is medieval stained glass.The church of All Saints has been a focal point of the village since the 12th century. The oldest part of the church dates from the 12th century and includes the two arches and the pier between them at the end of the Nave and North aisle.  There are some remnants of painted decoration on the more Westerly arch dating from this period.  The tower dates the same period.  Three stages of building are evident with the final stage being added around 1430.

The Church of All Saints PCC, Renhold (Bedfordshire) | Top

All Saints Church is an edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled tower containing 5 bells: there are four ancient monuments, in white marble, to the Polhill and Beecher families; and on the north side of the chancel is an alter tomb, with brasses to W. Wayte and his wife, 1509: the church was thoroughly restored in 1863, at a cost of £800, and has since been refurnished and decorated: in 1889 the belfry was restored and the tenor bell recast: there are sittings for about 230 persons. The register dates from the year 1564.

The Church of St Michael & All Angels PCC, Shefford (Bedfordshire) | Top

The original building is said to date back to the 14th century, consisting of a Nave and Tower. The base of the present Tower preserves a little of the ancient building, the Tower Arch being the oldest part.

The Church of St Peter's PCC, Sharnbrook (Bedfordshire) | Top

The church was originally Norman and the first recorded rector was William in about 1155. The Norman church was remodelled in the 13th Century, with further additions in the 14th, 15th and 17th Centuries in a mixture of architectural styles.

The Church of St Nicholas' PCC, Stevenage (Hertfordshire) | Top

The Saxon church on this site was replaced by a Norman one in about 1100 AD, but the only remaining part of this is the great, thick-walled flint tower. The church structure has been partially rebuilt so many times that it is a patchwork of nine centuries of local endeavour.

  • Tower Repairs and other masonry repairs carried out 2007
  • Church Architect Quinquennial Inspection 2006

The Church of St Mary The Virgin's PCC, Stoke Breurne (Northamptonshire) | Top

The Church is mainly 14 & 15th century. It consists of a body, north and south aisles and leaded chancel. There is an embattled tower at the west end with five bells; the lower part is of the twelfth century, with buttresses added later. The vestry, the most recent part of the church, was built in 1881.

^  Top of page 

Victor Farrar Partnership

Contact: 01234 783258 | email: lbubbins@btconnect.com